Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Interview with The Guard Writer & Director John Michael McDonagh

"Brendan Gleeson gives the performance of the year (and possibly his career) as the last of Galway's independent guard, a brash, obnoxious, foul-mouthed cop who's either 'really dumb or really smart' and personally doesn't give a hummingbird's heinie what you think about him. I've seen the film twice and on both occasions my friends could hardly wait to tell me how much Gerry Boyle and I have in common.

Orchestrating the bouncing obscenity is writer and first-time director John Michael McDonagh. From the looks of him, McDonagh isn't the type you'd like to tangle with in a pub. But after our phone interview (I haven't laughed so much since speaking to Jerry Lewis), my only regret is that we didn't meet in person over cocktails.

In case you haven't already heard, John Michael McDonagh is the brother of Martin McDonagh, screenwriter, director (In Bruges), and IRELAND'S GREATEST LIVING PLAYWRIGHT."

San Diego Reader | by Scott Marks

No comments: