Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Author Geralyn Lucas puts a fresh face on cancer survival

"Geralyn Lucas thought she would be dead by 30. Instead, 16 years after her breast cancer diagnosis, the author and activist is a huge fan of hair dye and Botox. Ironic, she acknowledges, because all she ever wanted was to grow old.

Her tween daughter, Skye, was her “miracle child” after chemotherapy threatened Lucas’s fertility. Now the 12-year-old rolls her shadowed eyes and mocks her svelte mother for having “back fat.”

“I want to call my next book ‘I Survived Cancer. But Can I Survive My Kids and My Grumpy Husband?’ ” quipped Lucas, 44, who on a recent Sunday was in the back of a New York City cab drinking chilled rosé with a group of girlfriends as we headed to a hipster Brooklyn parlor for celebratory tattoos."

SEE: The Washington Post

No comments: