Sunday, September 18, 2011

Rushdie and Mehta and the Bollywood Star

The star invited Mehta and Rushdie to her office in Mumbai and declared, “Your script, I love it. I-love-it.” But there were a couple of “little things”, and “we should talk about it now, isn’t it?” She had discovered that, at some point, her character would have a 16-year-old son. She had never been asked to play the mother of a teenager. As Rushdie recounted, he said to her, “Look, actually, when we first meet your character, she’s seventeen years old.” And added, he says, in brackets, “Unlike you, madam”. He left unspoken there, but not in Toronto this week, “Unlike you, bitch”. When the actress said to them, “I hear my youth crying out to me, to the star that I am,” he said they realised, “we were screwed.”

SEE: Approaching midnight

No comments: